Zapier is an online automation tool that connects your apps and services. You can connect two or more apps to automate repetitive tasks without coding or relying on developers to build the integration. (Source: Zapier.com)
With SHIFT's Zapier integration, you can connect your SHIFT workspace with the thousands of apps available on Zapier's marketplace to automate everyday tasks. For example, you could send a group notification to Slack when a link is created or update a Google doc when a file is uploaded to a specific folder. The possibilities are endless.
Creating a Zap
- To start, go to Zapier: https://zapier.com/app/dashboard
- If you don't have an account with Zapier, you can create one for free.
- From the main dashboard, click on the "Make a Zap!" button. A "Zap" is what Zapier calls a custom integration. You'll be directed to the screen below (note that you can name your Zap in the top left).
- If you're creating an integration with SHIFT for the first time, type in SHIFT to search for the app.
- Select a trigger event. In this example we will be selecting "Creating a new asset" as a trigger event.
- At this point you'll need to log into your SHIFT account. (We recommend being already logged in on your desktop app).
- Zapier will then ask you to choose the Workspace you want to use for this Zap. After choosing one, click continue
- You will then have the opportunity to test the connection to your account/workspace
Once you're done testing, you can move to the next step.
Now that you've set up the Trigger, it's time to set up the Action. For this example, we will have the 'Creating new asset' trigger create a Slack notification (Send channel message).
- Once you have selected the action you want Slack to take, click Continue:
- You'll then be asked to log into Slack (we recommend already being logged into the application).
- Allow Zapier to access your Slack workspace and click Continue.
- From here you'll be able to customize your Slack message. After you are done, click Continue. (Please note that the channel will need to be public for it to be searchable in the list of available channels).
- Now you can test your connection. At this point, you will be able to confirm the integration both in Slack and Zapier.
- Upload a file in SHIFT, and see the notification pop up in your new Slack channel!
- Click 'Done Editing' and...
- You're ready to turn on your Zap!
Within Zapier, you will find 10 recommended webhooks with preset trigger and event data - all that you need to do is authenticate to both services and authorize the connection.
These include a variety of options for automating uploads from/to other cloud services, event logging in messaging apps to replace a barrage of email notifications, and an option to automate file publishing to social media when an asset is updated.
For more information on Zapier, visit https://zapier.com/learn/.